As a builder or contractor, you may need input from a legal expert on terms of a domestic or commercial building contract. Even if you have many years of experience in the building industry, the law and contract interpretation is always changing. We can help draft a contract for you from scratch or help you adapt and update your existing contracts. We can also help you tailor your standard form contract for a unique job.
Domestic building contracts are complex documents, whether the contract is for a new home or a renovation. There can be complex parts in these contracts that can be costly and time-consuming later if not addressed in the beginning
We can take you through the terms of your building contract and advise you about your rights and responsibilities under the contract. Contractual obligations have legal consequences, and we want you to be prepared. If you need amendments, we can help you negotiate special conditions to the contract.
On the other end, you may wish to end your building contract. Terminating a contract is a serious matter, and you should seek legal advice before you do it. Often there are strict requirements for notice to be given and sufficient grounds for termination. Incorrect termination can be expensive and create ongoing legal headaches.
Our clients range from small to large property developers, builders, contractors and sub-contractors and home owners.
We can help with:
- contract negotiation and review
- occupational health and safety issues
- risk management and regulatory compliance
- insurance claims advice
- building warranty claims
- dispute resolution, including litigation and arbitration
- claims under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act
- dispute resolution including resolution of domestic building disputes through Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV)